Only a south indian knows how comforting a simple idli chutney is for him on a lazy Sunday morning. Idli or dosa is almost every south indian s weekend breakfast. This simple recipe is my take on it. Do try out this recipe and let me know how u like it.
1. Idli rice 4 cups
2. Urad dal 1 Cup
3. Poha 1 Cup
4. Salt to taste
1. Soak rice and Urad dal seperarely for 4 hours.
2. Grind the rice to a smooth fine paste using water.
3. Grind urad dal to fine paste and mix it with rice batter.
4. Soak poha in 1 Cup water for 10 minutes and grind this too with some rice batter and mix this with urad and rice batter.
5. Add salt and whisk it with your hand with fingers spread like you incorporating air in batter.
6. Beat like this for 5 minutes.
7. Rest the batter in warm place overnight or for 9 hours.
8. Take an idli stand brush the hollows with some ghee add the batter and don’t fill completely leave little space for it to rise.
9. Cook on idli steamer with water in it for 15 minutes
10. Once done remove the stands and let idli cool down
11. Scoop out with spoon or knife .
1. Coconut 3/4cup
2. Roasted gram dal 1/4cup
3. Green chilly 1
4. Dry red chillies 2
5. Ginger a small piece
6. Oil 2tbsp
7. Mustard seeds 1/4tsp
8. Curry leaves 10
9. Garlic crushed 4 to 5
1. Grind together coconut roasted gram green chilly ginger salt and half cup water to a smooth paste
2. Heat oil in a pan add mustard curry leaves and crushed garlic.
Let garlic turn brown then add this tempering to the chutney.