Have spent 21 years of my life in chembur sindhi society and this sindhi dish remains all time favourite of mine . I have a vivid memory of having this in chembur camp are which is famous for street food and best food in chembur. On every independence day and republic day we kids used to love having this treat in out buildings programme . This dish is nowhere Close to my memory of dal pakwan but just a tribute to all my sindhi friends and people because of whom we have actually enjoyed this dish.
Here goes the recipe
???? FOR PAKWAN
1. Refined flour /Maida 2 cups
2. Oil 1tbsp
3. Carom seeds/ajwain 1tsp
4. Salt to taste
5. Water to make dough upto half cup
1. Chana dal 1 Cup soaked for 20 minutes
2. Turmeric 1tsp
3. Garam masala 1/2tsp
4. Water 1 and half cups
1. Boil dal in pressure cooker with 1 and half cups water salt and turmeric garam masala for 1 whistle and let it cool on low flame for 10 mins . Remove from fire let pressure drop by itself .
2. For pakwan mix all ingredients make a stiff dough. Cover and keep for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Divide dough in walnut size balls roll very thinly. Prick all sides with fork
4. Heat oil in kadhai deep fry them till crisp like papad on low flame for 5 minutes.
5. Serve with dal coriander mint chutney and date chutney with some finely chopped onions on top of each pakwan.