SAOJI CHICKEN CURRY
This delicacy was in my to do list since very long. Finally nailed a recipe that worked really well after reading through a many of them. This maharashtrian delicacy from Nagpur. Saoji s were the community best known for their handloom culture and second was their fiery nonvegetarian dishes. This recipe is a humble tribute to the saoji community.
1. Oil 1tsp
2. Coriander seeds 1tbsp
3. Stone flower ( dagad phool ) 1tbsp
4. Cinnamon stick 2 to 3
5. Javitri 1
6. Star anise 1
7. Cloves 2 to 3
8. Black pepper 3 to 4
9. Bay leaf 1
10. Poppy seeds 1 tsp
11. Dried red chillies 3 to 4
12. Dry coconut grated 2tbsp
13. Jowar aata 1 tbsp
14. Onion 2 chopped
15. Garlic 5 to 6
16. Ginger chopped few pieces
17. Finely chopped coriander leaves half cup
18. Oil 4tbsp
19. Bedgi mirch powder 1tsp
20. Chicken 250 grams
21. Hot water
1. Heat oil in a pan add coriander seeds stone flower cinnamon cardamom javithri star anise cloves black pepper bay leaf poppy seeds and dry red chillies add fry till spices change colour.
2. Add coconut till it becomes brown .
3. Add jowar flour and mix well.
4. Keep all this in mixer jar.
5. Take more oil add onions saute till brown Add onion garlic ginger fry for sometime till brown.
6. Add these in mixer along with roasted spices and coriander leaves blend into fine mixture adding little water.
7. In a pan add oil add red chilly powder and add the ground masala paste cook well.
8. Add chicken pieces and salt cook on high flame for 10 minutes and on low flame for 20 minutes. Check seasonings
9. Enjoy this hot gravy with bhakri or rice