Rasam has versatile family made with countless variations. Mysore rasam has free freshly roasted ground spices in it that gives the best flavour in decoction. Do try out this recipe and let me know how you like.
1. Cooked mashed toor dal half cup
2. Mustard seeds half tsp
3. Ghee 2tsp
4. Curry leaves few
5. Hing 1/4 tsp
6. Turmeric 1/2 tsp
7. Chopped tomatoes half cup
8. Tamarong lime sized ball.
Roast and grind below INGREDIENTS
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Chana dal. 2tsp
Red dried chillies 3
Cumin seeds 1tsp
Black pepper half tsp
Coconut grated 1/3 cup
Oil 1/2 tsp
1. Soak tamarind in 1 cup hot water for 30 mins. Extract pulp by adding 1 cup more . Discard seeds
2. Heat oil in a pan roast all ingredients under roast and let dals brown. Switch the gas mix coconut and keep aside.
3. Place tamarind water in vessel boil with tomatoes hing and salt with turmeric too.
4. Add water cook on low to medium .
5. Grind roasted spices to form the base of rasam .
6. Add mashed dal in tamarind water cook more.
7. Add 5 tbsp of rasam powder to this. Keep boiling.
8. Check salt add chopped coriander leaves.
9. Drink hot