A simple version of dal ghost . Made by using simple spices and can be made in a jiffy as cooked in pressure cooker . This hyderabadi speciality is lightly soured with tamarind. The lentils absorb the taste of the mutton in which they are cooked .
1. Mutton 500 grams
2. Split red lentils / dhuli masoor daal 3/4 cup
3. Melon seeds 2tsp grind in mixer
4. Onions 2 medium sliced
5. Ginger paste 1tsp
6. Garlic paste 1 and half tsp
7. Red chilly powder 1tsp
8. Turmeric powder 1/2tsp
9. Black cumin/ shahi jeera 1/2tsp
10. Cinnamon stick /dalchini 1/2inch
11. Green cardamom 2
12. Cloves 4
13. Tamarind 1 lemon size ball soaked in 1/2 cup hot water for 15 minutes and strained
14. Coriander leaves chopped 1/2 cup
15. Green chillies 2
16. Oil 1/4 cup
17. Salt to taste
???? FOR TEMPERING
1. Dry red chillies 4
2. Curry leaves 15 to 20
3. Garlic finely chopped 4tbsp
4. Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
5. Fenugreek seeds/methi seeds 1tsp
6. Oil 2tbsp
1. Pressure cook lentils in 2 cups water with 1/2tsp salt and 1/4tsp turmeric to give 1 whistle. Remove from fire let pressure drop by itself
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and black cumin seeds cinnamon cloves and cardamom . Cook for 1 minute till spices darken a little.
3. Add onions and cook on medium flame till light brown then add ginger and garlic cook for 1 minute .
4. Add salt turmeric red chilly powder and ground melon seeds fry for few seconds . Sprinkle little water cook for 1 to 2 minutes till well blended
5. Add meat fry for 6 to 8 minutes on medium flame till water dries up and meat gets a well fried look.
6. Add 1 Cup water for meat to become tender and pressure cook on high for 1 whistle then reduce heat for 2 mins
7. Keep on medium flame for 8 minutes or till meat is tender . Remove from fire let pressure drop by itself.
8. Check meat for tenderness
9. Add boiled lentils tamarind water green chillies and coriander leaves.
10. Simmer for 7 minutes.
11. Remove in a serving dish
12. For tempering add all ingredients of tempering in hot oil . When the red chillies darken add it to hot dalcha
13. Cover immediately.
14. Give resting time of 10 minutes before u e joy this with steam rice