This is a very typical bengali chicken dish made by cooking marinated chicken with spices to attain a lovely gravy based chicken dish. Mustard oil is the most essential part of this dish and must not be replaced with any to get the full flavours. Do try out this recipe and let me know how you like it.
FOR THE MARINATE
1. Onions 2 finely sliced
2. Garlic 7 to 8 cloves finely chopped
3. Green chillies 2 finely chopped
4. Ginger paste 2 tbsp
5. Yoghurt half cup
6. Turmeric 2 tbsp
7. Garam masala 1 tsp
8. Lime juice of 2
9. Mustard oil 5 tbsp
FOR THE CURRY
1. Chicken curry cut 1kg
2. Potatoes 2 cut in quarters
3. Onions 2 onions finely sliced
4. Mustard oil 5 tbsp
5. Dry red chillies 2 pcs
6. Bay leaf 2pcs
7. Cardamom 3 pcs
8. Cloves 3 pcs
9. Cinammon 1 inch
10. Turmeric 1tsp
11. Green chillies 2
12. Sugar 1tsp
14. Coriander leaves chopped finely.
15. Hot water 500ml
1. In a bowl add chicken along with all the ingredients mentioned under marinade. Mix well. Dont discard the lemon peel. Place them along with the chicken. To marinate and remove while u add to cook. Marinate for 4hrs or best is overnight .
2. In a kadhai add mustard oil add red chillies bay leaf cardamom cloves peppercorns .
3. Add onions salt and sugar let it caramelize
4. Add turmeric powder and let it cook.
4. Add marinated chicken with green chillies and potatoes.
5. Cook on medium flame for 15 mins then on sim for 25 mins.
6. Add coriander leaves check salt . Serve after resting dish for 15 minutes.