Menaskai is all time favourite side dish for most of the manglorean s. Many of SOUTH Indian functions caterers keep people to serve this so that it dosent go out of stock as people are crazy for this sweet sour spicy menaskai. And if the caterer is not there to serve they keep a small serving spoon purposely so that we get small servings. An all time hit among people I present you my mother’s recipe for menaskai
1. Pineapple 1 whole cut into cubes . The centre part is discarded
2. Coconut 1 Cup
3. Dried red chillies 6
4. Coriander seeds 2tbsp
5. Cumin seeds 1tsp
6. Methi seeds 1/2 tsp
7. Garlic 6 cloves
8. Turmeric powder half tsp
9. Jaggery 1cup grated
10. Curry leaves
11. Urad dal 3 tbsp
12. Tamarind marble sized
13. Water 4 cups to boil the pineapple and half cup to grind the masala.
14. For tempering little oil
And 1tbsp urad dal
1. Roast urad dal till brown remove it in a bowl.
2. Roast coconut till brown remove in mixer.
3. Roast dried red chillies with little oil till fluffy add in mixer.
4. Roast cumin seeds coriander seeds methi seeds garlic cloves till brown and add in mixer.
5. Add tamarind in mixer along with roasted urad and blend all these with half cup or more water to make a thick fine paste. The paste should be fine.
6. Boil pineapple cubes with 4 cups water jaggery and turmeric powder.
7. Boil for 10 minutes add the masala paste and add salt.
8. Cook on high till it boils well now reduce flame to simmer for 15 minutes .
9. In a kadhai add little oil once hot add 1tbsp urad dal let it get brown add curry leaves and add it to they menaskai.