Dal makhani is a staple in the Indian subcontinent. Punjabs famous main meal is made rich by use of cream and butter. Originally urad dal was cooked overnight on burning coal . The longer the dal simmered the better it tasted . Do try out this simple recipe and let me know how u like it
1. Whole black beans (urad saboot) 1cup
2. Split gram da(chana dal) 1tbsp
3. Kidney beans (rajma) 2tbsp
4. Ghee 1tbsp
5. Water 5cups
6. Salt to taste
7. Red dried chillies 2
8. Ginger 1 inch
9. Garlic 4 cloves
10. Tomatoes pureed 4
11. Fenugreek leaves/ kasoori methi 1tbsp
12. Ghee 3tbsp
13. Coriander powder 2tsp
14. Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
15. Butter 2tbsp
16. Fresh cream or Malai 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup milk mixed together to form 1/2 cup
1. Clean wash all the 3 dals and soak overnight
2. Grind ginger and garlic paste
3. Discard water from soaked dals and add 6 cups fresh water in a pressure cooker along with dals
4. Add salt half of the ginger garlic paste (keep other half aside) and dry red chillies .
5. After first whistle on high flame reduce gas to lowest for 40 minutes. Remove from fire . Once pressure releases mash the dal a little
6. Heat ghee add tomatoes pureed . Cook in till thick and dry
7. Add left over ginger garlic paste garam masala and coriander powder
8. Add dry fenugreek leaves cook for 2 minutes.
9. Add this mixture to the boiled dal
10. Add butter and keep the dal on simmer flame for 25 minutes stirring and mashing the dals occasionally.
11. Add beaten Malai with curd mix vert well.
12. Simmer for 20 minutes more to get the right texture and smoothness.
13. Check salt
14. Remove from fire serve hot